Salt – once considered as an essential commodity (of course, still is) for our life seems to be getting thrown out of the kitchen only to make way for some other alternatives, as it is thought to be doing you some pretty serious harm. Well we tend to forget our limits in doing a lot of things, who the hell cares if our salt intake is proper or not. All we care is about how our taste buds are satisfied after every stuff that you eat and how can this be possible without our loved table salt!
So much are we dependent on these fine crystals of nature that we simple cannot have any meal without them as it’s the ultimate taste enhancing factor in our food. Salt quantities are more or less ok in the food which your mother makes for you, unless you every time sprinkle some more in your plate. It’s mostly the processed foods that are the main culprit as the salt in it not only make it taste great but also helps in preserving the food.
Why Is Table Salt Harmful For You?
The usual salt that’s available in the market is the refined variety of salt which is stripped off the other nutrients like magnesium and potassium which are also equally necessary for your health and also helps your body to metabolize sodium better. There are also other additives like anti-caking agent, fluoride and potassium iodide. The end product is pure sodium chloride which can cause a lot of health related problems if its intake is not monitored properly and you most of the times are main culprit due to your sedentary lifestyle. If you are not following a healthy lifestyle , a thing as meager as your table salt can cause you lot of damage. Why? Just read this..
- Salt is also used as preservative in many food items as it acts like an antibiotic and kills bacteria. When you have this salt, it kills the good bacteria in your body too.
- Your cells have to give out water so that the water molecules can break down sodium chloride into sodium and chloride ions. Thus excess amount of salt will dehydrate you.
- Salt is a substance that absorbs water and thus it can possibly lead to constipation and accumulation of toxins in your intestinal tract. Accumulation of toxins can in turn give rise to cellulite.
- If you are not really in a good state of healthy, then salt can give you problems like high blood pressure. The higher the blood pressure, the greater the risk of heart attacks, strokes and kidney problems.
- Refined salt is acidic and leaches minerals from your body. It will add to toxicity in your body if taken in excess amounts.
Well there may be more to it but seriously do you think that having salt is really that bad given the potential health hazards that it can cause to your body. Is it really good for nothing? No, the fact is that salt is indeed one of the most important nutrients that our body needs.
Benefits Of Salt
- Salt is important for the absorption of nutrients through the intestinal tract
- Salt helps to create hydroelectric energy in the cells
- Salt helps to clear to lungs of mucus and sticky phlegm. Yes, that is why gargling with salty warm water helps when you have cough
- Salt also helps to clear congestion in sinuses
- Salt is vital in prevention of muscle cramps
- Salt is vital for bone health and helps to give a firm structure to the bones.
- Salt is vital for prevention of gout and gouty arthritis.
- Salt help in sleep regulation
- Salt helps to maintain your libido. Oh ! you really need that one, don’t you?
- Salt is extremely important for the functioning of nerve cells for the communication and information processing. How can you just do without it?
Source: Water: For Health, for Healing, for Life by, F. Batmanghelidj
Now that you know both the benefits and harmful effects of salt, you might be scratching your heads and also will be wondering about your salt intake. Don’t worry it is alright to have your usual table salt, but the problem starts when you have it in excess. For people who are already suffering from health related issues it extremely important for you to watch your salt intake as it can have damaging effects on your heart and kidneys.
So what’s the ultimate solution to end this problem. Of course you cannot afford to miss out on the amount of salt required for the normal functioning of your body but you can always embrace the other gifts provided by mother nature. Say hello to Himalayan Crystal Salt and Celtic Sea Salt.
So what is so special about these salts? These are unrefined salts which comes with other minerals like magnesium, potassium and other trace minerals which are also vital for your body. The presence of these extra minerals gives a certain color to these salts like grey, off-white or pink. As a matter of fact, the unrefined salt can contain more than 90 different trace elements.
In short these salts are no different from your table salt as they are not refined and are the nature’s direct gift to you. Also these salts are alkaline and does not leech your body of essential minerals.
Weather you are a heart patient or not, it’s always wise to choose the best option when it comes to your health. If you don’t watch it, it doesn’t take much time for the seemingly harmless table salt to turn poison for you. Have a look at the state of health you are in, your age and make a wise decision in choosing your salt.
Photo Credits: Parl