Do you really sweat excessively? Do you think about the ways you can reduce your sweating? I know how embarrassing it becomes when you have to think twice before you shake hands with somebody or just quickly wipe your palm against your pants before you go for that handshake. But the game is over at that moment itself when you know that you are about to shake hands with somebody. You cannot even think about hugging some body. Now that the summer is here these kind of situations will be faced more often
Why do you sweat?
Sweating is a way through which your body regulates body temperature. When the core temperature of your body rises, your body compensates by sweating and maintaining internal body temperature. Here is some interesting fact, on an average a normal person sweats up to 6 liters per day, out of which 240 ml comes from your feet! Of course this may vary depending on the climatic conditions. But people like me who live in humid conditions will not find this fact surprising.
But why do I sweat a lot?
You may be suffering from some of the main reasons mentioned below:
Hyperhidrosis: In this condition you will sweat profusely, more than the body requires to regulate body temperature. The sweating will be mostly from your hands, feet, back, armpits and the groin where the concentration of sweat glands in relatively high.
Hormonal changes : Fluctuating hormones can play a havoc and are often the root cause for perspiration. Women are more prone to such conditions in the perimenopausal state and during pregnancy when the hormonal fluctuations are at a peak.
Excess weight: Obesity as such is a root cause for many problems but it also leaves you sweating more than a healthy adult. The simple reason being that the body of an obese person has to carry more weight and work more harder than a normal healthy person.
What do I do to reduce sweating?
Ideally you should be consulting a doctor if you think it’s really serious, but if you think you can take care of this situation here are some tips which you can implement to naturally reduce your sweating.
1. Flush your body with water: Yes, you already know about it, big deal ! But water actually helps by flushing out toxins from the body. Even if you are sweating this will keeping your body clean from inside and will prevent underarm odour to a great extent. Apart from this having two cold water showers in a day will help to combat excessive sweating and fighting body odour.
2.Cut down on your coffee: Caffeine intake tends to cause anxiety which will in turn trigger sweating. Many soft drinks also contain caffeine, make sure you check the label before you go for it, especially in the summer.
3. No hot water baths: Hot water baths will leave you soaking in sweat. The pores on your skin will remain open for a longer period of time allowing sweat to flow like a river. Cold water baths with a good anti bacterial soap will be much more helpful.
4. Avoid smoking and alcohol: The body finds it more harder to control the sweating in the presence of alcohol and the toxins from smoking cigarettes.
5. Eat right: Eating spicy foods can aggravate your sweating as they make your body sweat more frequently from short time periods. Similarly having foods with more sugar content in them will give you similar results. Have only home cooked meals which contain a lot of greens and salads and also don’t forget fruits. Eating right will also help in eliminating body odour.
6. Wear right clothes: Only pure cotton clothes will do for summer as they allow your skin to breathe. If you are going to a party then avoid fabrics which cause irritation and heats up your skin. Wearing an under shirt helps tremendously as it soaks up sweat and leaves your shirt as dry as possible. Wear washed socks for every new day. If you are going out again in the evening then have a cold water bath and a complete change of clothes which also includes your socks is a must.
7. Shave unwanted hair: The sweat accumulates around the hair in the groin and in the armpits thus providing an environment for the bacteria to grow. These bacteria then discharge toxins which is why we get the unpleasant body odour. So the best thing you can do is shave off these unwanted hair for a better hygienic condition.
8. Travel Smart: Start your day early and don’t be late for work or important events. If you are behind schedule then you will tend to get anxious and this will lead to excessive sweating. Make some stops at air condition places if possible as this will cool you down, arrest sweating and then make a move.
9. Use deodorants: Deodorants give good results only when they are used properly. The chemicals enter your sweat pores and clog them to reduce sweating. If you use them immediately after a shower they may not be able to give the desired effect as pores are still open and probably they are releasing sweat at that moment. The best but also a weird way to use a deodorant is to apply it before sleeping so that the deodorant is able to complete its mode of action and the next day you simply take a shower and apply some perfume or deodorant over your shirt just for some fragrance and then leave for work. Give this a try to see if this helps. You may carry a deodorant along with you so that when the need arises you can go to the washroom and apply some deo directly in your armpits. Selection of deodorants is also important. Look for the ones that suits you well as some deodorants, when they get mixed up with your sweat gives out an odd smell. So the best thing you can do is reach your work place, allow your body to cool down and then spray the deodorant.
10. Lose excess weight: As I have mentioned before that heavy bodies need to work more harder and in the process gives out more sweat. Exercise everyday and have a diet more of fibre and proteins and avoid spices and sugary stuff.
We all in a way go through such problems every now and then, but the main thing is not to give up and keep on looking for solutions and find ways to reduce excessive sweating. The climatic conditions are different from country to country and also within a country and so will be the ways to reduce excessive sweating. We would like to hear some unique ways one has adopted to reduce excessive sweating, so please share them in the comments section.
Soruces: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/is-your-excessive-sweating-caused-by-a-medical-problem, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhidrosis,