Wonderful Health Benefits Of Watermelons

Wonderful Health Benefits Of WatermelonsWatermelons are the natures best treats for summers with wonderful health benefits to offer. Today as I was getting ready for work as usual and was already late so could not have a proper breakfast and as I was wearing my shoes my mother kept a glass full of watermelon juice in front of me. Thinking that I can finish this in one gulp I went for the glass and the feeling of some nice cold sweet juice sliding down my throat gave me a very refreshing feeling.Thinking about what watermelon had actually done to my body. I was more than curious to learn more about watermelons and here is what I found out.

Watermelons, as the name suggest contains more than 88 percent water and the rest 12 percent consists of fibre. They are perfect for a weight loss diet. Simply cut an entire melon, store it in your fridge and have those juicy pieces whenever you get those hunger pangs in between meals. Also you can have some pieces before meals as they will prevent you from over-eating.

I also tried having them before my workouts and it worked out pretty well as my body was well hydrated and had good energy levels during my workouts.  Watermelons contain 12 percent fibre, so they keep you fuller for a longer period of time and you can have as much as you want without worrying about anything.

Melons are a good source of potassium, which helps in controlling the blood pressure levels. Potassium in the melons prevent common salt from increasing the risk of high blood pressure.

They are a rich source of vitamins. Vitamin A is very important for the eyes health, vitamin C promotes healthy gums and teeth, prevents cell damage and helps to strengthen the immune system.

Now one of the best benefits that watermelon possibly gives is having a Viagra like effect. According to scientists, watermelons contain a phyto-nutrient called citrulline. Citrulline gets converted to arginine (an important amino acid) which has great effects on the heart and the circulation system. Arginine boosts nitric oxide which acts as a vasodilator and relaxes blood vessels, the same effect that Viagra has to treat erectile dysfunction.

Wonderful watermelons also provide antioxidant benefits. They contain a powerful antioxidant called lycopene. Lycopene helps in  reducing risk of various types of cancers which includes breast, endometrium, prostrate,lung and colon cancer. Only make sure that you dig up some white part of the melon to get some good amount of lycopene.

How to choose the right melons:Wonderful Health Benefits Of Watermelons

Look for the ones which are symmetrical and firm, without any cuts and bruises. Look for the underbelly of the melon which should have a yellow splotch. This is a good sign as it indicates that the melon was rested on the ground under the sun. If the splotch is white or green then the watermelon was harvested too  soon and it will never fully ripen.

Put them in a blender or have them as it is, watermelons sure have wonderful health benefits to offer. So the next time you are out shopping this summer make sure you come home with a nice round melon and they can be easily stored in your refrigerator as they are available in many sizes.

Refrences: www.sciencedaily.com, home.howstuffworks.com, health.howstuffworks.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

Experience Life In The Prime Of Your Health

%d bloggers like this: