The health benefits offered by walnuts are so great that they could actually help in making you live longer. Walnut has been a devoured nut since long and it’s use in various culinary treats in not uncommon. Walnuts added to cereals or muesli for breakfast is the best thing that you can do to your body and it maximizes the pleasure or the feeling of that spoonful of breakfast that you load in your mouth.
Due to the tremendous health benefits that are offered by walnuts they always have been a favorite food among researchers for study. Such a study was conducted at the Rovira i Virgili University in Tarragona, Spain on 7000 people aged over 55 years and it was published in the journal BMC Medicine.
Researchers in the study found that walnuts cut down the risk of dying from heart diseases by 55 per cent and from cancer by 40 per cent. Overall walnut eaters had 45 percent lower mortality risk.
Walnuts are wonderful for your heart as they contain unsaturated fat, minerals and other nutrients. Whenever you think of having a light snack like biscuits or wafers or chocolates, you should instead go for walnuts as they will fare far better on health scale. Having a handful of walnuts minimum two to three times in a week will help in making you live longer.
Health Benefits Of Walnuts
Now that we know how walnuts can make us live longer, let’s have a look at what these nuts actually contain due to which they have so many health benefits to offer.
- The most important thing that the walnuts contain is Omega 3 fatty acids like linoleic acid, alpha – linolenic acid and arachidonic acids. These are very important nutrients which help to increase the HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) and reduce the overall cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol). The omega 3 fatty acids in the walnuts help your heart to maintain a healthy state by promoting HDL cholesterol, no wonder how the study mentioned above got such results.
- The next important thing that the walnuts have are the antioxidants. Antioxidant is very important in getting rid of free radicals which only does bad things to your body. Walnuts contain melatonin, vitamin E, carotenoids and poly phenolic compounds. The compounds have antioxidant properties which protects from cancer, ageing, inflammation and neurological disorders.
- The omega 3 fatty acids and the antioxidants in walnuts take care of a lot of bad stuff like blood pressure problems, heart diseases, strokes, breast cancer, colon and prostate cancer.
- Walnuts are also a rich source of vitamin E, which your skin loves as it is an antioxidant which protects the skin from the harmful oxygen-free radicals. Vitamin E will also help in giving a boost to your sex life.
- Walnuts also contain lots of minerals like potassium, calcium, iron, copper, manganese, zinc and selenium. These minerals are very important for may metabolic activities in your body. Although most of them are required in small amounts, but their deficiency will cost you certain dysfunctions. Like zinc is important for production of certain enzymes which are used for body growth and development, digestion and sperm generation.
- Walnuts are also loaded with B vitamins like niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and folate.
- Walnuts are really good if you are experiencing hair loss problems. The omega 3 fatty acids are very important nutrients for the hair follicles and maintaining hair in a healthy state. Walnuts can also take care of certain other deficiencies that your body is probably experiencing due to which you may be experiencing the hair loss. Omega 3 fatty acids also help in reducing dihydrotestosterone due to which many men lose hair due to male pattern baldness.
- Walnuts are also important for the brain as the omega 3’s in them keep the brain cells healthy and makes you feel mentally alert. If you are feeling grumpy in the morning after you wake up then have walnuts with your breakfast or you can have them with milk after you wake up.
As per the USDA national nutrient database for standard references, among all other nuts, walnuts are the one which contain pretty high alpha-linolenic acid (type of omega 3’s). Alpha -linolenic acid helps a lot to prevent and treat the diseases of the heart and blood vessels. They help to prevent heart attacks, reverse the thickening of the blood vessels (atherosclerosis) and lowers cholesterol and high blood pressure. Alpha-linolenic acid also helps to prevent the disorders of the skin,like psoriasis and eczema.
There can be lot more to it as these nuts are loaded with so many wonder nutrients that one who has them may definitely live a longer life. A lot of matter regarding walnuts are still under study.
Including walnuts in your diet can do wonders for you. Instead of going for biscuits or chocolate bars go for walnuts as they will help in weight management as well. Keep a jar of walnuts always on your dining table so that children can have them any time they want.
If you don’t have walnuts at home at all (please don’t kid me) get some finest quality walnuts by clicking here.
The health benefits that walnuts have to offer are tremendous and one can definitely improve his/her quality of life and live longer by having a handful of them at least thrice in a week.
Photo Credits: Ioan Sameli